My Nail Growth Journey...


I've always loved getting my nails done and having long nails as a result of the acrylic nails I would always get. When I was younger I would venture into the nail salon every two weeks without fail because I couldn't be without my long nails. For a while, I even pondered becoming a cosmetologist just so I could design nails and artwork and learn how to do my own nails professionally. However, while I LOVE nail art and design, I did not like the idea of working on other people and working with feet as nail artists often have to do. I could not do that so I give TONS of props to those nail artists who do work so hard at their craft and touch feet all the time... I still have to say ewww (sorry)!

But I digress because this post is about my wanting to finally achieve naturally long healthy nails, MY OWN nails! Ever since I can remember when I was a young teen, I always tried to grow out my nails but at the time, it was before the internet was a household thing, there weren't very many information resources for nail care aside from the occasional beauty magazine article or the library. I would always try the tips I read for nail care and growth but they never worked for me. I have always had such brittle, weak nails no matter what I do. This left me thinking, my mother and my little sister could grow their nails out so nicely, why couldn't I?

Fast forward XX years later and I find myself wanting, in fact needing a new hobby to engage me. Something that I could do to help manage my moods and help me relax. You can read more about my illnesses on my About Me page. I'm so glad I found myself in the nail art community. Watching nail care or design videos are so calming. I then started to reproduce the manicure designs I'd see. I got into the habit of doing my nails once a week and then it went to twice a week to now, I do my nails every two days lol.

Unfortunately, even though keeping my nails polished has strengthened them, just having a weekly manicure didn't prevent them from breaking and chipping all the time. I tried just applying a layer or two of nail glue over the natural nail to harden them which would make them stronger, hence they would grow because less breakage but all that did was dry out my nails. Eventually, the glue would crack in certain places and would just be a hot mess.

Then I tried using fiberglass wraps but they don't last long and if your nails don't have enough free edge (The end of the nail that extends beyond the fingertip; also called the distal nail plate.), they won't stay put and eventually chip way earlier than it should though, I still like to use this method every now and then.



Not only did I not like how fragile my nails were and still are, but I really didn't like the fact that my nail beds were sort of short and it seemed like each nail had different shapes. Even though I was taking care of my cuticles and hand skin by moisturizing all the time, I still wanted to figure out if it was possible to lengthen my nail beds. I don't believe when people say that the shape of your nails and nail beds cannot be changed and that you are born with what you have because I was able to change their shape by the following methods.

  1. I found that if you push back your cuticles at least twice daily, keep them oiled, and DO NOT stick anything sharp underneath the nail to disturb the Hyponychium at all, you can slightly lengthen your nailbeds.
  2. Shaping the nails by filing them specifically to enhance or minimize your natural curve is also super helpful. 
If only I had taken some pictures of my nails before I started this technique to show the difference between my nails then and now! I have literally changed the shape of my nails whereas before they were shapeless and had such a weak C-curve, now my nail beds look longer and my nails curve naturally rather than being more flat as they were. These articles here and here helped me figure things out.



As far as products go, no matter how many miracle products that claim to make your nails grow and blah blah, some of them did make my nails healthier, I still had breakage because my nails are just thin and weak naturally I guess. Through my trials and failures,  I did find some really good products that really do what they claim. Some for you to try are Sally Hansen Miracle Cure, this did help with the peeling and weakness of my nails. Another brand I like that helps promote healthier nails is Nail-Aid. I have almost all of their base coats and I can say they help keep my nails from peeling and dryness as well as strengthen them. 

Still, through the struggle, I finally realized that another reason why despite everything I have tried, my nails were so sick was because of my failing health. Duh Mari! It really never occurred to me that my Anemia and other illnesses were also keeping my nails ill. So then I started dealing with what my body was missing. I researched and found out that Biotin, Keratin, Vitamin E as well as oils like Jojoba, Almond, Amla, and Coconut just to name a few, are all nourishing and promote healthy hair and nails if ingested or applied to your scalp and nails. Makes sense since your nails and hair are made of Keratin right?. Since then I have made it my business to slather on all the stuff, I mean all of it like several times a day. I even made my own DIY mixture of cuticle oil and cuticle balm that I will share really soon!

So in the meantime, as the saying goes, "You gotta fake it till you make it" right? I said to myself..."why not just get some fake nails gurl?" I wrote all about this in my post How To Apply Glue On Nails. Since I started wearing my falsies, not only have my nails grown but they are protected from the harshness of nail polish and acetone. I use this DIY Clear Peel Off Basecoat right before I paint my nails which makes taking the polish off the artificial nails super easy and preserves them so they stay fresh for longer!!

@MariMynxx natural nails #1 170704

@MariMynxx natural nails #2 170704

@MariMynxx natural nails #3 170704

After all this, 2-3 years later, my nails are finally showing signs of health and while I really can't change the fact that they are still brittle because of health reasons, I can definitely say that my nail growth journey has brrought me to a sort of happy place and it is still underway but I have learned a lot along the way and I wanted to pass this information onto you! 


I hope this article helps you and if it does, please share and comment to let me know!

XOXO

Mari

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me!